Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Staci

As I previously mentioned, my "cousin," Staci, came in to town last week from sunny Orange County, California. I use the term cousin lightly, because her grandmother was my great-grandmother's sister. It makes our brains hurt to hard to try to figure out exactly how we are related, but I am closer to Staci than some of my other actual cousins. Staci and I met for the 1st time when I was a senior in high school. My grandmother (pictured below) took me to LA for my senior present. We stayed with Staci's grandma and spent the whole week being entertained by Staci and her crazy family. I had the best time and will never forget that trip. A few years later, my family went to Cali for summer vacation and was once again entertained by the "crazies" in California. Staci tagged along with us for most of our adventures that week including our trip to Disneyland. Staci recently graduated from Humboldt State University where she majored in Kinesiology and played 4 years of soccer for the Jacks. She also played for the New York Magic this summer. She is now getting her masters in Physical Therapy from California State University at Long Beach. Staci is one of those people that you are just drawn to. Her personality is so bubbly and warm that you just want to be around her all of the time. When she called a few months ago to see if she could come visit I was ecstatic. Here are some pictures and a recap of our week.
Tuesday: Staci and I laid around the house until about 1:30 when he met my brother, Daniel, for lunch at one of my favorite places, Basil Docs. My best friend, Ashley Higley, was in town for the day and stopped by and visited with us for a while. I was so glad that Ashley came by to meet Staci and it always makes my day to get to give her a hug.
Later that evening we meet my parents, brothers and grandma at Cattle Call for dinner.

Grandma and Staci at Cattle Call.


Staci enjoying her first Chicken Fried Steak.

Wednesday: Staci and I were so miserable after eating such fatty and greasy foods at Cattle Call Tuesday night that we could barely get off of the couch. Luckily we made it to the gym to help us feel a little bit better. We spent the rest of the day eating salads and fruit in hopes that our conscience would stop beating us up. Wednesday night we took Staci to Epicenter, the youth service at our church. She loved it.
Thursday: I sadly had to go back to work so my parents entertained Staci at Palo Duro Canyon. Later that night we all gathered at our house for dinner. I was in charge of dessert and decided to try Mary Beth's suggestion of the Pioneer Woman's Apple Dumplings. OH MY GOSH!!!!! They were so good. I used reduced fat or diet everything that I could in it and it was still one of the best desserts I have ever had. After dinner we watched old home videos that Staci's grandpa, Ray, used to make and send to us every year. We all laughed at how silly everyone was and cried a little when we heard my great-grandmother's voice. I had forgot what she sounded like and it made my heart hurt for her so bad. Even though it was sad at times I think we all felt better after being reminded of the amazing people that have influenced our lives and to be able to call them family.


Andrew and Daniel.




Chris and Staci.

Grandma and Staci.

Me, Daniel, Staci and Grandma.


Chris had to get in one too.

Friday morning Staci had to be at the airport by 8:15 so we all met at the Donut Stop for breakfast. We definitely could not let Staci leave Amarillo without tasting one of the best things about our town. I think Amarillo is the only town in the country that can proudly boast that we have a donut place so good that Krispy Creme only lasted 6 months before it went out of business.


Dad and Mom


Daniel, Staci, Me and Andrew.



Staci and I.



Staci leaving Amarillo.
I was so sad to see her go, but so grateful for the visit. Staci spent the rest of the weekend in San Antonio going to the Final Four and tons of fancy parties and events. She has a rough life.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I haven't forgotten about you! :) Jacob and I broke up yesterday and I really don't know what God has planned as far as all that goes..SO needless to say things have been a bit rough around here!! I'll get it posted in the next couple of days!

Rachel said...

You are such a good blogger. I should try that dessert! I tagged you on my blog!