Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Free to Good Home - 14 year old boy

Yes you read correctly, for this week, we have a 14 year old boy that might be better off with another family. We are watching the Needham’s again. They dropped the kids of Sunday morning before church and will not be home until Saturday evening. Makes for a long week in the Bunch household. Not that our time keeping the kids isn’t crazy enough, but instead of staying at their house they are staying with us while their house is being remodeled. Anyway, I digress. Donna called me on Saturday to tell me that Dylan had gotten into a fight at school last week and would be serving 2 days, Monday & Tuesday, of OSS (Out of School Suspension) and then 2 weeks of ISS (In School Suspension). So Monday and Tuesday he sat at our house and watched movies and played video games all day. Believe me I would have had him doing other things (ie scrubbing toilets with a toothbrush), but apparently his parents are more upset at the school for kicking him out than they are at Dylan for getting into a fight. To make matters worse, last night Dylan and a friend went to the Disturbed concert that Donna had bought them tickets for. Chris and I were both concerned about him going to the concert. The name of the band itself should tell you that their music is not known for its spiritual or uplifting lyrics and melodies. Our instructions from the Needham’s were that if we could get the boys to the concert that the friends step-dad would bring Dylan home. Chris told Dylan that he had to be home by 11:00, which I thought was more than generous, and that if he could not make it by that time he needed to call and Chris would come and get him. At 11:50 when we still had not heard from Dylan and trying to call and text him with no answer, Chris took off to the venue to see if he could find Dylan. At 12:10 Dylan comes running to the front door and before I could even get it open his mouth was running with excuses, mainly that his phone had died (which I tested and was true) and that he could not remember our numbers. I asked him what his mom’s number was and he recited it back to me. I asked him why he did not use someone else’s phone and at least call his parents and have them get in touch with us. I explained to him how concerned and upset we were that he did not even attempt to get in touch with us and that we were worried that something had happened to him. I could hear my own mother’s voice echoing in my head which creeped me out a little. I explained to him that part of being 14 meant he was more responsible and that because of his lack of responsibility he was not allowed to go anywhere for the rest of the weekend because he had not shown us the respect we deserved and that he had not proved himself responsible. I also confiscated his cell phone. I told him that Chris was very upset and that he was lucky Chris was not home. Dylan looked totally defeated. I don’t think he thought we would punish him. I don’t know if we handled it the right way, but I don’t want Dylan to think that just because Chris and I are watching him, he does not have to obey. Any advice from the other parents out there would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh the joys of being a parent now days! It scares me to death!!! When I was 14, I think I was still wearing huge bows and playing with Barbies!!! Now a days, middle schoolers are doing all kinds of things that I would have never dreamed of!!! I am proud of you and Chris and how you handled it! You guys will make such awesome parents...............HINT HINT HINT!!! :o)