Monday, March 10, 2008

Too much drama for me...

This morning has been crazy!! I went to leave for work this morning and when I opened the garage door, I saw that the alley was kinda smokey. As I got in my car and drove down the alley I saw smoke coming out from under the eve of the elderly man's house that lives across the alley and one house down from us.
I immediately grabbed my phone and called 911. Thinking back on it I am amazed at the clarity God allowed me in that moment. I remembered Edwin's house number and street like it was my own. I don't even know how I knew his house number, but I did (actually God helped me). Anyway, I hopped out my car and ran up to the front door. I tapped the door knob to see if it was hot. It was not so I tried to open the door. Praise the Lord it was unlocked. As soon as I opened the door, smoke rushed out. I could not even see my hand in front of my face. I did not want to go into the house, because I had never been in there before and thought that might not be the best decision. I instead stood at the door and yelled for Edwin. I could not hear him responding. About that time, a car pulled up and 2 men jumped out. One of them was a friend of Edwin's who comes over and checks on him every once in a while. God had allowed them to come over that morning even though they never came to check on Edwin in the morning. They ran into the house and found Edwin sitting in a chair that was on fire. We think that maybe he was smoking and fell asleep. Edwin told them that they needed to get the chair out of the house!! They instead dragged him out in his pajama's. His arm was pretty badly burned, but other than that he was in pretty good shape. I ran home and got him a blanket and Chris' house shoes. (Thanks Chris!!) I also ran next door and woke up the elderly women that lived there and helped her wrangle up her 4 dogs and 1 cat!! (I don't know how you live in a townhouse and have that many animals!!) Soon after the police, fireman and paramedics arrived. Edwin refused to go to the hospital and really only cared about smoking another cigarette and going back in his house. I told the police that I had noticed that he had been leaving his garage door opened when he left the house and obviously, I thought he was suffering from dementia.
An hour later I was back at work and only suffering from mild smoke inhalation and burning eyes. Please remember to keep Edwin in your prayers today and in the days ahead. The fireman said his house was not a total loss but it would require a great deal of cleaning and some major structural repair in the back of his house. Also, please pray for Edwin's family as I am sure they will have to struggle with getting him in full time care.
Thank you God for your divine intervention and amazing arms of protection and for the fireman, policeman and paramedics who face those situations everyday.

3 comments:

John said...

Holy cow Amy!! What a crazy story!! I am so glad you stayed safe though, and we will definitely pray for Edwin. Man, what a trip! :)

Ingram Gang said...

Oh my goodness.
This is straight from the movies. Shall I call you Superwoman or Catwoman? This really is an incredible story. You were a blessing in this man's life. Way to go Superwoman!

Audrey said...

That's crazy, Amy! I'm glad you were there. I'll pray for Edwin. I can't help but think of my grandma who's on oxygen but still smokes. We're always scared she's going to forget to take off her oxygen before lighting up.

Did you get my e-mail I sent last week about being in town last weekend? I figured you just had too much going on on Saturday to get together, but wanted to make sure your e-mail address hadnt' changed. I'll be in town next week, Wed. - Sun. Maybe we'll have a chance to hang out then. :)